Monday 26 November 2012

Endeavour: Growers Ale - Review


Having sampled Endeavour's 2010 Reserve Pale Ale almost 2 years ago to the day, it seemed rather fitting to mark the occasion with a trial run of their latest release - the 2012 Growers Ale.

This brew has been formulated as a mark of respect to this fine nation's hop and barley growers. A tip of the hat to those unsung heroes that enable you and I to sip on the finest Australian beers to our hearts content.


The review:


Hmmm, a bit tricky to rate out of five this one. I wanted to give it more than three stars but then it's just not worthy of the heady heights of a four or even a five. Perhaps it deserved a 3.5? No, but it only just missed out.

It really is quite sessionable. I realise that most of my loose reviews mention how sessionable a beer is. Well, that's because I enjoy a session! A beer that has an alcohol content of 4.2% abv is bound to attract attention as being sessionable. Some 4.2's taste like old socks of course but Growers Ale is a nice, sensible tasting drop that would happily see itself through a session of mine. Very drinkable.

I sank my first Growers on a very humid, Queensland evening and it....just....slid down. It was very thirst quenching indeed. It took my mind off the fact that I was only 30 hours past my maiden wisdom tooth removal.

There are certainly some hoppy notes emanating from Growers however, as a hoppy beer lover, this didn't live up to my expectations. I thought it might have been a bit more hoppier.

Hoppier = Happier.

There is also a gentle hint of citrus in there too. Of course, this assists the ability to quench ones thirst.

Although I'd happily sit drinking this beer all evening, there is a little something inside of me wanting more from it. I can't think of an appropriate word to describe these feelings. Uninspiring perhaps? This might sound a little harsh but it's certainly along those lines.

If you're out with your mates in a pub this Summer and looking for something new to try for a change. Something that isn't going to leave you with a grotty hangover then drink this. It certainly won't ignite anything that will sort out the Earth's problems but, hey, Endeavour haven't set out to fix up the planet.

Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment