Thursday 20 September 2012

Sierra Nevada: Hoptimum 2012 - Review


Ok, ok. I get it. I'm addicted to Sierra Nevada beers at the moment. I have issues. So what?

The very latest addition to my ever-growing 'beer list' (see right) is Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum - a whole-cone Imperial IPA. This is number 234 on my list if you're interested.

 
Recent consumption of Sierra Nevada beers have left me wanting more and more. I saw this baby on the shelf in the shop and despite the pricey price tag of AU$12 it made its way to my beer fridge at home no questions asked. This is what an addiction is all about I suppose.
 
The review:
 
 
Although an annual release, this is only the second year that Hoptimum has been brewed and, at 10.4% abv, it is the strongest beer to have passed my lips (the second strongest was La Trappe's Quadrupel at 10.0%).
 
I have sipped quite a few strong 'uns and most of them tasted strong (sometimes off-putting). In my opinion, the alcohol content in Hoptimum, wasn't overwhelming. It didn't possess me like I thought it was going to. I didn't need a priest on standby to perform an exorcism like I feared. It was this slight fear that had me waiting and waiting for the right time to open it. Any beer drinker will agree that the timing has to be just right for some beers. For me and my new friend, Hoptimum, it was a sunny Sunday afternoon in Spring. Perfect timing...
 
 
I've given Hoptimum 4 stars because I really liked it. Simple as that. Similar to Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot, this one (as the name suggests) was very hoppy - with a very bitter explosion indeed. With an IBU of 100, this will knock your socks off in a nice way.
 
As you can see above (click for larger view) it poured a wonderfully welcoming, cloudy, golden amber colour. Really and truly, a big boys beer like this should have lasted longer than the 10 minutes it took me to finish it however, I just couldn't help it. It was an extremely pleasant beer to drink although, this isn't for the faint hearted. Steer clear of it if you're planning to drive a car or operate machinery soon afterwards. Just sit back, relax and enjoy this one.....and then another.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment